Is your email inbox giving you anxiety attacks? Then this blog post is for you.
Right, get yourself a cuppa, sit down, and get your email situation sorted… and keep it manageable for the future. “It can’t be done!” I hear you cry. Rubbish. We can get you back on track in ten steps:
1. Keep your work and social emails separate – or at the very least divert emails to separate folders so that they’re easy to look through.
2. Take five minutes at the beginning of your day to blitz through your inbox and get rid of any marketing or spam (preferably unsubscribing to anything you’re not actually interested in), and respond to emails that only require a simple answer.
3. Create a ‘filing system’ for different types of emails and archived mail. That way you can go straight to the appropriate folder instead of getting distracted by unrelated emails…
4. Delete emails that don’t contain information you will need to reference later, and file away those that do. Streamline your inbox and it’ll be much less scary.
5. Set yourself an email cap – say when your inbox reaches 50 unread emails – then it’s time to knuckle down and get it sorted. No more denial!
6. Shift unnecessary/frivolous interaction to social media rather than endless and time-consuming back-and-forth email conversations with friends.
7. Update message subjects when the content moves to a new subject – simple but it definitely helps everyone involved to keep track of info within a long email conversation.
8. Ask yourself: would it be easier for me to just call this person and talk it through over the phone?! Seriously. Pick up the phone sometimes. It can save you ten frustrating emails.
9. Similarly, if you’re out of the office, use the phone or text messages to reply to emails – it’s much more effective than trying to type out an email on a smartphone or tablet.
10. And finally, be ruthless. Your work email account should not be a place of fear. Get rid of anything that doesn’t help you be productive and get into the habit of dealing with correspondence as quickly as possible. Once it’s done, it’s done, and your inbox will be forever manageable (and sometimes even clear)!
About Ikroh SEO tm
Ikroh has over 35 years of experience in the industry.